Help Starts Now
The purpose of the NZF Zakat Fund is to assist Canadian Muslims who are experiencing financial hardship and struggling to meet their essential needs.
Zakat Assistance Policies
- NZF does not provide cash or bank deposits
- Food and essential support are provided via gift cards, vouchers, and in-kind
- Rental support is provided by direct payments to property owner/management
- Support with bills and other expenses are provided by direct payments to payees
*These policies are in place in order to be compliant with the Canada Revenue Agency. Please note, policies may change without notice, and that assistance is dependent upon available funding.
- Make sure you fulfill the eligibility requirements above.
- Fill out the application form completely
- Press the submit button
- Provide required documentation
- Speak with your NZF caseworker
- Have your application assessed by your caseworker
- Receive decision regarding your application
- If approved, receive your support by mail
- Be connected to your resources as per your needs
Applications are processed within 7 – 10 business days. Incomplete applications and missing support documentation will add to the processing time.
Start your application using the form below
NZF does not cover student loans and other long-term debts with Zakat. At this time, our priority is to focus on serving the most immediate needs of our community with respect to housing, food and other basic essentials.
NZF funds clients in a manner that the organization sees fit and aligned with the needs highlighted in the Zakat application. Under current CRA regulations, NZF does not provide cash directly to Zakat applicants.
We follow the legal guidelines of Zakat as a restricted fund to assist Muslims in need. However, we do receive applications from those, not of the Islamic faith and provide whatever assistance we can from non-Zakat funds as well as by connecting them to other resources available in the community. Read more here.
Most applications are processed within 2 to 10 days from the submission of all supporting materials required depending on the volume of application we are dealing with at that specific time. For urgent cases, we process cases much sooner depending on the circumstances. Read more here.
NZF provides assistance for a short period of time (2-4 months generally). However, our team of caseworkers are equipped with the knowledge of government benefits and community resources, which are key in providing a more holistic service, with an aim toward self-sustainability.
Do you have any questions?
Do you need help with your application?
Call us at 1-888-693-2202. Phone lines are active Monday to Friday 10am to 6pm EST.
We offer our services in the following languages:
English, French, Arabic, Urdu, Somali, and Punjabi